On Friday morning, December 13, 2019, history was made with the House Judiciary Committee approving the two Articles of Impeachment against the current president of the United States.
This makes Trump the first president to face Articles of Impeachment during his first term and just the third president to be impeached by the House Judiciary Committee. The full House will take up the issue on Wednesday.
House Democrats unveiled two articles of impeachment against President Trump on Tuesday, December 10, 2019, declaring that he “abused the powers of the Presidency” and sought to cover up his misdeeds by obstructing a congressional investigation into his dealings with Ukraine. Trump is just the fourth president in U.S. history to face the prospect of such a sanction for misconduct in office, which could be approved by next week on the House floor.
To read more information, please view the links to the articles below:
- Democrats charge Trump with two impeachment articles, setting up historic vote | The Washington Post
- Trump is fourth U.S. president to face impeachment as Democrats unveil charges | Reuters
- Debate on articles of impeachment against President Trump begins Wednesday | USAToday
- Trump ‘Ignored and Injured’ the National Interest, Democrats Charge in Impeachment Articles | The New York Times
To read the Articles of Impeachment, please visit link below:
- Constitutional Grounds for Presidential Impeachment | Report by the Majority Staff of the House Committee on the Judiciary