COLUMBUS – The Ohio Democratic Women’s Caucus launched a petition demanding that an independent investigator be allowed to review Attorney General Mike DeWine’s handling of a sexual harassment complaint in his office.
Last year, a former intern made allegations that she was sexually harassed by a senior male staffer and close personal friend of Mike DeWine. During the course of the investigation, a whistleblower approached the office’s EEO investigator and was promised confidentiality. DeWine demanded to be interviewed by the investigator and forced her to turn over the informant’s name. The investigation was closed three days later without identifying the harasser.
Subsequently, DeWine’s senior staff referred the EEO investigator to the Franklin County Prosecutor for potential felony charges. No charges were pursued, and the investigator ultimately was never even disciplined internally.
Kathy DiCristofaro, Chair of the Ohio Democratic Women’s Caucus, made the following statement:
“Mike DeWine’s explanations for why he interfered in this investigation and demanded a confidential informant’s name don’t add up. Now, we’ve found that DeWine’s senior staff tried to retaliate against his office’s own investigator. Ohioans deserve a thorough and independent investigation how DeWine and his staff handled these sexual harassment allegations.”
Stand UP! Join the Ohio Democratic Women’s Caucus in DEMANDING an independent investigation of the mishandling of the sexual harassment investigation in Attorney General DeWine’s Office.
Mike DeWine is at it again, and here’s what we know:
1) An AG intern reported sexual harassment as her reason for turning down a full time position with the AG’s office. The harasser was alleged to be a senior male staffer and a close personal friend of Mike DeWine.
2) The intern swore under oath that the harasser touched her leg and shoulder and would sit uncomfortably closer to her.
3) DeWine’s internal investigator promised confidentiality to a whistleblower, but DeWine forced the investigator to turn over the whistleblower’s name. The investigation ended three days later.
4) Instead of taking the side of the accuser and finding out what really happened DeWine’s political appointees RETALIATED against the EEO officer and referred her to Prosecutor O’Brien’s office for trumped up felony charges.
5) There is likely still a sexual harasser working in the Attorney General’s Office.
This case reeks of wrongdoing, and it has Mike DeWine’s fingerprints all over it.
Attorney General DeWine won’t stand up for Ohio Women, so we will!
Sign the Petition here.
Join the ODWC, sign our petition DEMANDING an independent investigation of the sexual harassment allegations at the Attorney General’s office. Remind Attorney General DeWine that Ohio women are watching, and We Won’t Go Back!
Kathy DiCristofaro, Chair
Ohio Democratic Women’s Caucus
- Sandusky Register: DeWine dogged probe – http://www.sanduskyregister.com/article/election/595253
- PD: Democrats say AG DeWine meddled in sexual harassment investigation –http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2014/08/democrats_say_attorney_general.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
- Dispatch: Sexual harassment claim investigated, dismissed – http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2014/08/07/DeWine-investigation.html
- Dispatch: Dem rips DeWine’s handling of probe – http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2014/08/12/dem-rips-dewines-handling-of-probe.html
- WBNS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8KZiub68Sk&feature=youtu.be
- WCMH: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ-SbLAyZ0A&feature=youtu.be