On Tuesday, August 11, 2020, Presumptive Democratic Presidential Candidate Joe Biden announced his running mate – Senator Kamala Harris! Vice President Biden’s choice for his Vice President is an historic moment for our Nation! Here are a few things to know about the next Vice President of the United States, Kamala Harris.
- As a U.S. senator, Harris has fought to raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour, make higher education tuition-free for the vast majority of Americans, reform the cash bail system, protect the legal rights of refugees and immigrants, and expand access to affordable, quality health care.
- Harris was the first woman of color to serve as attorney general of the state of California, and only the second Black woman as well as the first South Asian-American woman in history to be elected to the U.S. Senate. Senator Harris’ parents immigrated to the U.S. – her Mother emigrated from India to pursue a doctorate in nutrition and endocrinology at UC Berkeley and was a breast cancer researcher who died of colon cancer in 2009; her Father emigrated from British Jamaica for graduate study in economics at UC Berkeley and currently is a Stanford University emeritus professor of economics.
- Kamala Harris truly believes that everyone deserves equal treatment regardless of sex, gender, or ability. Her allyship with the LGBTQ community was front and center when she officiated at California’s first same-sex marriage.
- Harris is a proud graduate of Howard University and will be a powerful voice to increase critical investments in our country’s historically Black colleges and universities.
- As a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, she’s been a leading voice in the fight to hold the Trump administration accountable.
Kamala Harris and Joe Biden, along with the House, Senate, state and local candidates up and down the ticket are going to need all of us to help build a pathway to the White House.
We have only 83 days – as of today August 12, 2020 – left until Election Day, and it is going to take every single one of us working together to ensure that on November 3rd we elect Joe Biden, Kamala Harris, our Congressional, State Senate and House, local county and Ohio Supreme Court Justices Judge Jennifer Brunner and Judge John O’Donnell along with other judicial and State School Board candidates while turning Ohio Blue and putting an end to the disastrous Trump administration once and for all.
We are in this together! We are 1 Team! BidenHarris2020!