The Democratic National Committee (DNC) is the principal organization governing the United States Democratic Party on a day-to-day basis. While it is responsible for overseeing the process of writing a platform every four years, the DNC’s central focus is on campaign and political activity in support of Democratic Party candidates, and not on public policy. The DNC was established at the 1848 Democratic National Convention.
The Democratic National Committee provides national leadership for the Democratic Party of the United States. It is responsible for promoting the Democratic political platform, as well as coordinating fundraising and election strategy. Shortly after his inauguration, Barack Obama transferred his Obama For America organization to the DNC, along with its 13 million person email list, as restrictions prevented him from taking it with him to the White House. Renamed Organizing For America, the organization also controls the BarackObama.com domain and website and is expected to work closely with Obama’s New Media Director Macon Phillips, who will manage the WhiteHouse.gov – formerly Change.gov – website, though Phillips’ duties technically fall under the White House umbrella, not the DNC.
Chairwoman Wasserman Schultz stepped down as Chairwoman at the close of the 2016 DNC. Vice Chairwoman Donna Brazile will be Interim Chairwoman until a new DNC Chair is announced.
Current DNC Officers:
Interim National Chair: Donna Brazile
- Maria Elena Durazo, Executive Secretary–Treasurer of the AFL-CIO
- Raymond Buckley, President of the Association of State Democratic Chairs, Chair of the New HampshireDemocratic Party
- R. T. Rybak, former Mayor of Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Grace Meng, Representative from New York’s 6th District
Executive Director: Position currently open
Treasurer: Andrew Tobias, businessman, author, and financial self-help guru
Communications Director: Position currently open
National Finance Chair: Henry Muñoz III
- Iowa Senate Majority Leader Mike Gronstal, Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee Chairman
- Rep. Ben Ray Luján, Democratic Congressional Committee Chair
- Sen. Jon Tester, Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee Chair
- Gov. Steve Bullock, Democratic Governors Association Chair