“I am running for Governor – to provide the new generation of leadership we need to move Ohio forward. I will ensure that we put the state’s resources where they belong – investing in our state’s infrastructure to create jobs, funding our public schools and freeing our communities from the scourge of heroin.”
Official Campaign Website: JoeForOhio
To mail a contribution, please make check payable to:
- Friends of Joe Schiavoni
545 E. Town Street
Columbus, OH 43215
Treasurer – Louis Schiavoni
- AGE: 38
- HOMETOWN: Boardman, Mahoning County
- EXPERIENCE: Ohio Senate, 2009-present; Senate Minority Leader, 2014-2017; Schiavoni, Schiavoni, Bush and Muldowney law firm
- EDUCATION: B.A., Ohio University; J.D., Capital University
- RUNNING MATE: Stephanie Dodd, Ohio State Board of Education
Joe Schiavoni talks about the race for Ohio Governor in 2018
Interviewed by: John Michael Spinelli | YouTube | 4.22.17
1.02.18 – Joe Schiavoni is proud to announce his choice to be Ohio’s next Lieutenant Governor: Stephanie Dodd.
Stephanie Dodd represents over one million constituents as an elected member of Ohio’s State Board of Education. She was elected in the 9th District, which covers all or parts of 13 counties in Central, Southeastern and Appalachian Ohio.
Over the past five years, Stephanie has been a voice for the taxpayers, parents and – most importantly – children of Ohio.
Stephanie fights hard for public education and knows that our students and teachers need quality support from Ohio leaders. She demands accountability for the tax dollars spent at charter schools and believes nobody should profit at the expense of our children.
Stephanie’s work on the board includes:
- Voting to require ECOT to return $60 million in taxpayer dollars for inaccurate student enrollment.
- Voting for less standardized testing and fewer assessments required by the state.
- Introducing equal rights rules for all school employees regardless of sexual orientation.
- Calling for an independent investigation into the Department of Education after a data-fixing scandal was uncovered.
- Organizing school board members against efforts in the Statehouse to shift support from public education to for-profit charter schools.
- Voting in support of increased spending for early childhood education, including additional preschool for students across the state of Ohio.
- Listening to the concerns and needs of students, school leaders, teachers and parents to make decisions based on what is best for our children.
First elected in November 2012, Stephanie won a three-way race with 60% of the vote and was the highest vote getter in 12 of the counties she serves.
Four years later, Stephanie ran unopposed in her heavily Republican district – only the second incumbent to run unopposed for re-election to the State Board in 24 years. She received more than 298,000 votes in that election. In her two runs for office, she has received more than 500,000 total votes.
After her graduation from high school, Stephanie attended the University of Cincinnati where she earned her Bachelor of Business Administration degree, majoring in Finance, Information Systems and Digital Business. She was the first in her family to graduate college.
After graduation, Stephanie worked for a local law firm, then joined Advantage Bank in Cambridge at their corporate headquarters. She later went to work for Time Warner Cable, a Fortune 500 Company, in their regional Finance and Government Relations divisions.
These experiences have provided Stephanie with a strong business sense that brings a unique perspective to the State Board of Education. She knows Ohio schools need proper resources and a constitutional funding system in order to provide the best education possible for our kids.
In 2011, Stephanie’s entrepreneurial spirit led her to start SLD Consulting, a consulting company that capitalizes on Stephanie’s professional experience and specializes in fundraising, development and event planning for non-profit organizations.
Stephanie Dodd is a member of several civic organizations and remains committed to her involvement in her community. She is a practicing Catholic and member of St. Edward the Confessor Catholic Church in Granville. She lives at Buckeye Lake in Licking County with her husband Dan, daughters Cecilia and Frannie, and son Auggie.
3.01.17 – COLUMBUS – Today, Ohio Senate Democratic Leader Joe Schiavoni (D-Boardman) issued the following statement to announce his run for Governor:
“After seven years of Republican control, we still don’t have the high-paying jobs that places like Youngstown, Toledo and the Ohio Valley so desperately need. Our roads and bridges are falling apart. Our public education system is woefully underfunded. Ohio’s opioid epidemic continues to plague our communities. Meanwhile, Ohio Republicans give hundreds of millions of dollars to failing charter schools and billions in income tax cuts to the very rich.
“That’s why I am running for Governor – to provide the new generation of leadership we need to move Ohio forward. I will ensure that we put the state’s resources where they belong – investing in our state’s infrastructure to create jobs, funding our public schools and freeing our communities from the scourge of heroin.
“Our next Governor must be someone who can speak to voters in all parts of the state – urban, suburban and rural. Someone who will fight for all Ohioans, no matter where they live and no matter who they voted for in the past. Someone who can talk to people who don’t regularly vote and inspire them to get involved and help bring about real change. Someone who tells it like it is and won’t make promises they can’t keep.
“I am not a career politician, and I’m not going to be the anointed candidate. But I am a fighter, the fighter that Ohio needs. I will work harder than anyone, visit every part of the state and meet with every Ohioan I can until I win. Once elected, I will get to work giving ALL Ohioans the new leadership they are asking for and they deserve.”
- Joe Schiavoni picks Stephanie Dodd as running mate | The Daily Record
- Joe Schiavoni picks state board of education member as running mate | Cleveland.com
- Governor candidate Schiavoni picks running mate | The Blade
- Schiavoni-Dodd: A New Generation of Leadership for Ohio | Joe Schiavoni for Governor website
- Schiavoni-Dodd Ticket is the Key to Moving Ohio Forward | Joe Schiavoni for Governor website
- Joe Schiavoni makes run for governor official | Cleveland.com
- Democratic Sen. Joe Schiavoni Announces 2018 Governor Bid | US News & World Report
- Youngstown-area Sen. Joe Schiavoni becomes 1st Democrat to announce for Governor run | Columbus Dispatch