Know what State Issue 1 is about BEFORE voting! Links available for the full text and summary of the proposed constitutional amendment along with arguments for and against. The ACLU of Ohio Fact Sheet is also posted. Know before you go to vote!
STATEWIDE BALLOT ISSUES FOR THE
NOVEMBER 2018 GENERAL ELECTION
To Reduce Penalties for Crimes of Obtaining, Possessing, and Using Illegal Drugs
Proposed Constitutional Amendment Proposed by Initiative Petition
To add a new Section 12 to Article XV of the Constitution of the State of Ohio
A majority yes vote is necessary for the amendment to pass. If adopted, the amendment would:
- Require sentence reductions of incarcerated individuals, except individuals incarcerated for murder, rape, or child molestation, by up to 25% if the individual participates in rehabilitative, work, or educational programming.
- Mandate that criminal offenses of obtaining, possessing, or using any drug such as fentanyl, heroin, methamphetamine, cocaine, LSD, and other controlled substances cannot be classified as a felony, but only a misdemeanor.
- Prohibit jail time as a sentence for obtaining, possessing, or using such drugs until an individual’s third offense within 24 months.
- Allow an individual convicted of obtaining, possessing, or using any such drug prior to the effective date of the amendment to ask a court to reduce the conviction to a misdemeanor, regardless of whether the individual has completed the sentence.
- Require any available funding, based on projected savings, to be applied to state administered rehabilitation programs and crime victim funds.
- Require a graduated series of responses, such as community service, drug treatment, or jail time, for minor, non-criminal probation violations.