Main Street Initiative 2017
Local Campaign Training
Saturday, February 18, 2017 | 10am-4pm
Location TBD – Columbus
For more information, visit here.
To RSVP for training,
contact Main Street Campaign Director Chris Myers
Have you ever thought of running for office?
Want to make a real difference in your community?
This is your first step.
As Democrats in Ohio and across the country analyze the outcome of the 2016 election, one thing remains certain; a strong bench of effective public servants at all levels is truly the heart of a strong Democratic Party.
In 2016, we invested a great deal in our Main Street Initiative—from paid phone bank and canvass operations, to direct mail and poll worker programs—and despite the poor performance at the top of the ticket, we did see success in down-ballot races, including (but not limited to) the following:
- 262 incumbent Democrats re-elected to office;
- 38 new Democrats elected to office, including Kevin Boyce, Franklin County’s first—and the state of Ohio’s only—African-American County Commissioner and Denise Driehaus, whose win in Hamilton County gives control of the Commission to Democrats for the first time in over a decade;
- wins in contested Appellate Court races—including electing the first-ever Latina to serve on the 1st District Court—and key pick-ups on the Courts of Common Pleas in Cuyahoga, Franklin & Lucas counties.
This year, our Main Street Initiative will capitalize on the wave of anti-Trump/GOP energy and activism to: protect good, effective incumbent Democrats; win races in cities and townships that went for Trump in 2016; and continue to expand the diversity of our bench and foster the next generation of public servants.
With February filing deadlines fast approaching, there is no time to waste. The first official program overview and training will take place in Columbus on Saturday, February 18 (details forthcoming). We encourage anyone who has already filed to run in 2017, anyone considering a run for local office, county chairs, and campaign staff, as well as activists and other interested parties, to attend. RSVP to Chris Myers at 614-221-6563 x1139 or email@example.com.
Additionally, any candidate wanting to be part of the program, and thus eligible for financial assistance and individualized support, must fill out our Main Street Questionnaire (online) by February 10.
We look forward to working with candidates of various backgrounds and experience levels, including those who have previously run for office or been involved in state and local politics for many years, to those who are brand new to the political process. The benefit of Main Street is three-fold:
- Candidates receive hands-on, customized fundraising and voter contact support, as well as individual and group trainings;
- Candidates are part of a larger network and are promoted and touted to progressive donors and stakeholders across the state and country; and
- ODP staff with decades of political and campaign experience provide cutting edge technology, tools and trainings that have been refined based on past electoral success.
If you are seeking office in 2017, don’t forget to save the date for our first training on February 18, and please complete our Main Street Questionnaire or fill out the attached form and return it to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 10.
For everyone else, please forward this email to anyone you know who is considering or planning a run for local or judicial office in 2017 and encourage them take part in ODP’s 2017 Main Street Initiative.
In solidarity and with gratitude,
Main St. Campaign Manager
Ohio Democratic Party
SIGN UP TODAY!
The Ohio Democratic Party Main Street Initiative is hosting professional candidate trainings across thestate to help YOU navigate opportunities in public service. We’re looking for new, diverse people from all walks of life and experiences to be there, regardless of prior experience in politics.
Sign up now and we’ll be in touch about upcoming opportunities and trainings near you. Then forward this email to friends and family you think would make a great candidate!
From the school board to the Statehouse, these trainings will help you begin a life of public service with eyes wide open, equipped with the knowledge, support and networks you’ll need to make your start.
Maybe you’re thinking this isn’t for you, but you DO have a cousin, nephew, or sibling you just know would excel in public service. Share this with them, and help us spread the word far and wide to every corner of this great state.
Sign up now, and we’ll reach out to you personally with candidate trainings and educational opportunities near you: